Thursday, May 28, 2009

So close now...

'Not the one from the Telly' replies:

Just before I started writing this blog, I read our Navy friend Ian’s thoughts on the run. I must say that for a sailor to run 2 miles in 3 hours is very acceptable. In fact he would probably make it into the Naval Cross Country running team. Come to think of it he would probably BE the Naval Cross Country running team!! I think the problem he is going to have is getting up early enough in the morning to make it to Tarrant Rushton for 2pm... Navy reveille is generally around 11am or when you feel like it especially when ‘Going ashore’. Good luck to you from a Pongo!! ;-)

Training down (or tapering as I’ve heard it called) is now in full swing. My knees are feeling much better, however I will still invest in some supports as recommended by Matt (thanks Matt for the advice). My mileage has reduced now so I have just one more 10 mile run to do and then its 6, 5, 4, 3 with a day rest in between. I have no idea if this is the correct way of doing it but it was part of a program I found on the internet.

I had my picture in the Bournemouth Echo again and a mention on the TV news again. This triggered sponsorship from some colleagues I haven’t seen in years. So I guess the promotion side is working. As I mentioned in a previous blog, I can see Tarrant Rushton from my office which makes the apprehension greater. I had a chat on the phone at the weekend with Roy Howard (brother of John Howard) and he will be meeting me at Tarrant Rushton on the day, together with another of his brothers who was in at D-Day+4. All media, please take note!!

I have now got myself back into my wife’s good books. Less training means less time out of the house and more time doing the garden, painting, building etc. I managed to build a new wall in the garden and planted up the veggies over the weekend. I set fire to the greenhouse at one point - oops! This happened when I lit some tea lights to purge the greenhouse of flies and bugs. The problem is the tea light’s wax dripped onto some bark chippings and they caught alight. Not too serious but I did feel a bit of an arse when I had to put it out!

I haven’t checked the long range weather forecast but really hope we don’t have a hot day on the 4th. Apart from the obvious sun burn, dehydration, heat exhaustion etc I have found that because my hair is so thin on top I get sweat in my eyes more than I used to. To combat this, I will wear a rather trendy bandana. Of course in my family’s eyes it will be just one more thing that makes me look even more like a chopper, but who cares!!

All the best to you all! Nearly there now.

Jonathan

No comments:

Post a Comment