Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Silver Surfer updates...

Doc Chalmers:

I will admit that being a sneaky devious sod is not my style. I regret to say that I also never have been one of those touchy feely sorts either. Got back Friday night and piled off out on the tractor to cut the grass. This confused everyone including the dog. I guessed I may have got away with it till my wife spotted the TV schedule and race details for the triathlon on Sunday.

It all then fitted into place. I’d gone cutting the grass to ensure I could have a quiet Saturday watching the F1 qualifying while they all went shopping. This resulted in her visiting my wallet and removal of some notes. I have to say her mood improved later on Saturday as she swapped her mobile phone and in the process made £150 profit. My request to be taken out for a meal was declined!

Sunday dawned and off to the sprint triathlon, an early start racing at 09:00 for me. I met up with a load of mates from swimming club and triathlon club. I was ashamed as my swimming club had entered as a team relay. I was in with the 9 minute pace swimmers as I was planning to “trundle round”. Even they however annoyed me as I was pushing aggressively off the wall straight into the next racers feet.

Twelve lengths and a few kicks later a quick jump onto the bike and a 14 mile pedal round rural Lincolnshire. After 45+ minutes it was a rather ungainly dismount from the bike (not one of my better efforts) change of shoes and off on the run. Got the bit between the teeth and red mist was descending so set off to catch the ones in front! Had a surprisingly good run split, must be all that training and an OK finish in about 1h 20 minutes, stayed to cheer the rest of the boys and girls while eating generous amounts of bacon butties.

Unfortunately missed the really good bit as one of our lady club members forgot to screw her front wheel on properly, lifted the bike off the rack and front wheel fell out! Joking apart at least it wasn’t on the road, but she won’t do that again!

Anyway back to running now as on final straight. Had a look at the route and seems fairly flat, I enclose a recent photo taken at the Croxby Crawl finish, aptly named Heartbreak Hill and pray there is nothing similar to tackle on the day!

Best wishes

The Silver Surfer

No comments:

Post a Comment