Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Running the Fine Line....

Matt Barker:

Hello again to everyone! Matt Barker here updating the interweb with his training 'goings on'.

Hows training going??? That is what everyone keeps asking....Well, er...it's ok but not as well as I would like. While I am confident I can and will complete 65 miles on the day, I will always think I need to do more quality training.

I am treading the fine line at this stage of affairs, where I want to train hard enough to be confident and at ease with the task at hand but not so hard that I injure myself or become ill for it. I have been suffering from a head cold for the last 2 weeks so have only ran when I have felt like it... essentially starting my taper a little early maybe. There is much debate regarding running when you are feeling like crap.

Lots of people say DON'T, as it will set you back further, others, such as Dean Karnazes say that "unless you are running a high fever you should try". I opted for the 'rest' option with the idea that I still have a few weekends left. As a result I am feeling better and more positive despite having to adjust my taper plans.

I have been told a great tip by an ex-elite triathlete who recommended that to save my knees, build my quads and strengthen supporting muscles, I should cycle say 30 miles, then run 20. The idea being that you get the cardio workout over the distance as you would if you ran it but it would take less time, save joints from being battered and reduce the chance of injury.
An excellent idea for a time pressed family guy with a two busy jobs!!

The buzz coming from the organizers at the moment including emails and information packs is bringing the reality home now but also stirring up real positivity and energy for me. The last few months have flown past for me and I am truly excited and honoured to be part of this. I am doing well with sponsorship now having completely smothered the local town's shops, bars, fire stations, leisure centres etc. with posters.

Finally I am wondering what I will do once this is all over. Will there be a Project 66?!

Ham and Jam!

Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment