Friday, May 15, 2009

Two from Jonathon Ross...

Apologies from the Editor - clearing up the back log of emails! Two blogs in quick succession from 'Not the one from the telly'!

I had a really good training session on Saturday. I managed 40 miles across a variety of terrains. My pace was a constant 5½ mph. It seems that this is my natural speed on long distances. I did try and slow myself down but found it uncomfortable. I did walk a few times but found that really boring and even more uncomfortable than running. I also had to have two “Sit Downs”. I don’t think this is a technical phrase but it explains the fact that at two points I just had to rest.

Once was when my right knee just gave up the ghost and was extremely painful. This was around 30 miles. I had a rest on a bench, ate some jelly babies then carried on. I then had a 5 minute rest when I bumped into two colleagues by a local golf course. The rest did me good and for the last 3 miles I felt quite fresh. When I got home I felt OK and after a few stretches, a couple of recovery drinks and a bath I was summoned to go shopping. My wife drove to the shops but when we arrived I had to be helped out of the car!

I did have a small disaster after 5 miles. A sharp stone went straight through my trainers, tore my sock and foot tape and cut my foot. The pain was excruciating. T he resultant bruising put paid to me going out on my planned 22 miles on Sunday. Instead I was volunteered to dig over my father in law’s garden. I would have preferred the run!

All is well now though and I will be out for a relatively sedate 8 miles tonight.

Many thanks to James and Giles who left fantastically encouraging comments after my last blog. When you have never run anywhere near the distance we will run you have no idea what it will be like. I now feel full of confidence and ready for the challenge.

When I was out on Saturday I had a number of people overtake me at different times. All in lovely bright colourful running outfits. Not one bit of sweat on them. All bouncy and bright. Some gave a small wave, but most gave me a sort of sideways sneering glance as if to say “What speed do you call that”. More than once I felt like shouting “I’m doing 40 bloody miles here not 40 metres, you T&%@!!!”

Happy days. Stay fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment