Friday, April 24, 2009

Football and swimming in the docks.

Doc Chalmers is back in the running (or swimming);

It never ceases to amaze me how things happen. Both Dan Chico and I are starting to make a concerted effort on the fund raising. We have a signed Grimsby Town shirt (a definite must have item) and Dan then decided to e-mail all of the football league clubs to try and scrounge something out of them, using the leverage that our local club are helping. Surprisingly not a lot ensued except but we did get 2 directors box tickets from Hearts in Edinburgh!

Now the problem how the hell do we get a decent amount for these tickets since they are not flying off the shelves in Grimsby! I’m Scottish but as a Hibs fan I couldn’t face the humiliation visiting the directors box of Hearts...! For those who don’t follow football consider the Hearts/Hibs rivalry on a similar, but slightly more posh footing, as Celtic/Rangers! All helpful hints accepted..

We also have been targeting TV, radio and the newspapers. It was all nice and quiet till our 2 local papers (Grimsby Telegraph and Cleethorpes Chronicle) found out they had both been targeted. There is now ensuing an unseemly and childish race to see who can print our story first. Dan and I are looking on from the side with considerable amusement, and my mobile is in melt down mode as I get repeated phone calls/texts for photo and interview requests. I have to say though any publicity will do!

This weekend sees the first chance to get the wet suit out for open water swimming. Most people think I’m extra mad (i.e. worse than usual) when we swim in the docks. However, our local open water swimming club laugh at us soft and weedy triathletes - they turn up in Speedos, goose fat and 70’s style swim caps including the flowers, like my Mum used to wear!!

Fortunately, we haven’t had too many problems to contend with; the rats are scared so stay away from us, the swans don’t like us so only attack us if we get close and the locals reckon we do it for charity so hang over the edge of the bridge side waving notes to try and give us a donation!

Best of all if someone tries to commit suicide by jumping in the docks the rescuers get the “full monty” antibiotics, vaccines for everything - including things I’ve probably forgotten about. Oh, and we get a nice cup of tea!

Finally I emailed my swimming coach about the Project and asking if the masters would like to sponsor me. Turned up today for my scheduled swim at 06:00 and the masters traipsed by muttering I was 'bloody mad'. My coach was much more supportive than usual - she is looking forward to me running as she reckons when I finish it I’ll be so 'trashed' it will keep me quiet when I return and she won’t have to suffer the usual mild mucking about and cheek! She didn’t sponsor me though!

Nearly there now...

No comments:

Post a Comment