Thursday, April 16, 2009

And he thought he was so cool!

Jonathon Ross is back on the case;

I read a brilliant quote this week, “Any idiot can do a marathon but it takes a special kind of idiot to do an ultramarathon”. Enough said!

My training routine was again disrupted this week. We went away to stay with friends in Newport, Shropshire for Easter. Our friends like to stay fit so I thought I’d see if they were interested in a few runs whilst we were there. Sarah told me in no uncertain terms, “Why can’t you leave it alone just for a week?” I did try and explain that training is continuous but it fell on deaf ears.

Whilst we were staying there they had a few guests over for a BBQ. I got talking to one guy who said he used to do a bit of running but not any more. I then proudly told him all about Project 65 and the distances I was running. He then told me that he used to run marathons and his best time was 2hr 48mins. Feeling somewhat inadequate I think I managed to change the subject at this point.

Last Tuesday I booked myself a sports massage. I’ve never had one before and thought it might sort out a few muscle issues I have. So I went to the clinic in Wimborne and met Hannah. After I had explained my woes she set to work. Pain, Pain, Pain with an extra helping of pain is the only way I can describe the experience. She said that she had found a few ‘knots’ that needed sorting. I didn’t realise she was going to sort them with a hammer!! On a serious note she was excellent. However I did leave the clinic walking like I had marbles in my shoes.

My training routine is definitely back on track now (until the next disruption). Fifteen miles last night was actually very hard and I ache this morning. Not really what I was hoping for. I have a few short runs planned for today and Friday then a 30 miler for Sunday. The route I have chosen is through forests, along a disused railway to Hengistbury Head and along the coast to Bournemouth and back home. Then I will do 15 miles on Monday. All being well this will be my routine up until 2 weeks before the event.

I little tip on sponsorship. Your local British Legion may allow you to put a sponsorship form up on their notice board. It has worked for me and attracted some quite healthy amounts.

All the best to you all, stay fit and enjoy the pain – after all, it is free!!

No comments:

Post a Comment