Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Feel bad after a race? Drinks calf's milk!

Doc Chalmers is full of beans and the joys of Spring;

I finally had to give in; I had been a bit concerned about my down loaded training schedule as it included no x-training and true to form having stuck to it fairly rigidly, my legs gave up. A quick visit to my own GP didn’t help much as I got the sensible advice to rest, oh yeah! Next stop, swimming coach who is also an NHS physiotherapist and a similar comment ensued, as a consequence out came the “Jacques Cousteau” style flippers for lots of leg drills!

I’ve already shown an element of dogged independence and active ignorance of advice (don’t do as I do, do as I say) so it was back to duathlons after an all too short a rest. Our first duathlon, a short 1 mile run, 10 mile bike and 1m run outing, was postponed due to fog descending to virtually zero visibility and even I’m not that mad so we sensibly retired to the pub for a pint and a chance to brush up on my pool skills. (In an earlier life I did get an offer from my University Medical Dean, either play pool as a pro or finish your medical degree... good decision?!)

However I was in fine form next week at the duathlon until the chain came off the big ring on the racing bike, went from 'flogging it' to 'prating' about at the side of the road in a flash. The most enjoyable bit was zipping along down wind exceeding the 30mph speed restriction through picturesque Wold Newton village with all its daffodils at the road side. Still, 34 minutes for 10 miles on the bike with a repair stop is OK. I suspect the alleged 5m 30s for the second mile run was a tad dubious so I guess my wife was having a 'blonde' moment while acting as timekeeper.

I also see we have some excellent words of wisdom regarding recovery from training. No disrespect as it all looks very good and technically 100% but recently in 220 Tri magazine an article said a milkshake and a banana were just as good after a hard race. I suspect the extra clever amongst us will realise the milkshake will have Insulin like Growth Factors and other interesting substances hence the muscle recovery/development/adaption.

My other non scientific trick is a big slug of that miracle fluid Iron Bru: useless for adaption but superb for hangovers and also feeling “pasty” after a race. Recovery is vital given the volumes we are doing and the golden time is that hour after finishing. If you really go for broke there are nutritional supplements (legal, clearly) that can be used. I even was a guinea pig for one of them; Neovite. This is dried cow colostrum i.e. first milk passed for the new born calf. It puts Marvel milk powder to shame on the “vile” front but it works. I regret it’s expensive and has the minor drawback of needing to come from BSE free cows! All in all, a bit tricky!

Anyway off with our local running club tonight for a quick 5m road race. I feel a leisurely cycle to/form the start is required.

Best wishes and see you all soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment