Thursday, April 30, 2009

Work, family and a social life makes for tough training.

Jonathon Ross is still going...

The ability to continuously train and stick to a pre-planned schedule is proving to be difficult. With the best will in the world I have found that work, family and social life get in the way.

I had an army reunion last Friday in Chilwell, Nottingham. I actually stayed at the Village Hotel which I think Rory uses, but I didn’t see him there. It was a good day as I managed a short run and then an hour in the gym and then some time in the sauna. This was followed by a few Guinness’s in the evening and a lot of old war stories.

On Saturday night I had a cowboy fancy dress night to go to. Didn’t drink much so no real problems with a small 15 miler on Sunday. Today is Tuesday and I have 20 miles planned for this evening. I have to say at this point that since New Year I have had virtually no alcohol but I think sometimes a good blow out is justified....!

This weekend I have a 22 mile run planned for Saturday. This will be from Totton to West Moors in the afternoon. I then have a 40 mile run planned for Sunday. This will take in the delights of Hengistbury Head, Bournemouth seafront, Sandbanks, and the New Forest. This should be the test to see if I am ready. Bit late in the day if I’m not though!

I had found a training plan for a 100 mile run on the internet and sort of adapted it. The maximum mileage it recommended was 35 miles as part of the training. So I was a bit shocked to see that we were supposed to be at or above 40 miles. Panic did set in slightly at this point. I have now managed to sort of stop worrying. Surely I can’t be the only one having panic attacks; I’ve never had them before! I guess it must be the fear of not wanting to fail after such a big build up. Words of encouragement required please....

I wore a Camelbak last week for the first time on a 30 mile run. I found it more preferable than a waist belt. I was getting stomach aches from the belt, so have now ditched it and will continue with the Camelbak.

I did see Darth Vader briefly in the London Marathon, but not sure that was Spencer... Well done though for your fantastic effort, it looked extremely uncomfortable!

Hope you are all well.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jonathon -

    Rest assured you are not the only one having panic attacks!

    I have a couple of 30 milers planned for this weekend and I read the same as you - that the maximum mileage recommended was 35 miles (though I did compete in a 40 mile x-country last week).

    I have been using a CamelBak for about 6 months and couldn't do without it now.

    See you at Woburn?

    Best wishes,
    Giles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jonathon

    From reading all your posts, your doing just fine, I think most people would have a problem keeping up with you, remember on the day we have 21 hours so no rush, I think you could walk it no problem. Yes and see you all at Woburn

    Regards

    James

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankyou for your extremely welcome comments. It was just he reassurance I needed to make me relax. Sadly I will not make Woburn. I have a memorial service in Cardiff that day for my nephiew who sadly died a year ago aged just 24.

    ReplyDelete