Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Silver Surfer continues his efforts...

Dr Iain Chalmers...

Well, it had to happen; a week of anti-inflammatories and repeated application of “frozen peas” did my head in.

Unless I’ve totally lost it 'health clubs' appear to have two sorts of members: those who exercise and those who have a 'blue rinse', do the St Tropez 'crawl' and have an amazing capacity to chat in the shallow end of the pool. I was able to swim, despite recent injuries, but after various swims totalling 6k in the health club pool, my teddies had exited their pram by the end of the week.

Having tried to get a slot in the pool and swim lengths uninterrupted, the 'blue rinses' waded over and did a 'critique' on my swim training schedule. Never mind the fact I was swimming in a straight line and trying to turn off the wall at this precise moment!

This resulted in a few lengths of 'butterfly' and the 'blue rinses' decided that to save the coiffure and so a tactical retreat was in order. After that a successfully leisurely and peaceful return to my training was achieved.

The next episode of losing it was on Sunday. My beloved obviously was aware I hadn’t been running so thought it was an opportune moment to mention that a shower cubicle and stud wall needed removing and if I had any time spare my obviously boundless energy could be directed towards cutting the grass. The fact we have 2/3 of an acre and it takes 3 hours using a tractor was lost on her. Not only is it to be cut but she insists it has to have nice stripes. The dummy was well and truly spat out and a same day entry for a 10k road race ensued.

I’m also fascinated by the rest of the bloggers entries here on the Project 65 Blog and would offer a selection of general comments. The nutritional stuff is interesting but I’m sure I’m preaching to the knowledgeable but remember do not exceed 60-80g carbohydrate hourly when racing, also do not mix gels and drinks like Powerade. Also, remember if using gels they need to be taken with 250mls water.

If you wish to be an anorak and get a strange look from your partner weigh yourself nude, run a 10k without water (nude not advised) towel down and reweigh nude. By metric calculations 0.5kg = 500ml water and an approximation of fluid loss and hence replacement can be made. Variables such as ambient temperature etc not factored in.

The training regimes are also fascinating, maybe another blog, as my little angel's dulcet tones can be heard suggesting more work beckons.

Surfing on...!

No comments:

Post a Comment