Thursday, March 19, 2009

Casting out the marathon demons!

James Barker, in Suffolk, tells us how it is:

Following Rory’s advice to go long and slow, I decided that I was strong enough and injury free enough to up the ante a little bit. It started last Monday with a heavy gym session: an hour on the tread mill followed by 45 mins on the X-trainer. Ten minutes into the X-trainer and I started to get some chaffing where a chap shouldn’t get chaffing - on my left nipple! 'Damn', I thought to myself as it became apparent that the plaster that I had used to cover the offending part had come free.

After twenty minutes and several failed attempts to stick it back on without attracting any attention from the rather attractive blonde next to me, the pain was getting beyond a joke but I was not going to give up even if my nipple dropped off! Normally I would have started to bleed by this point and fortunately because I was wearing a navy blue T-shirt it didn’t show! I finished sore, blood-soaked, but pride in place!

On Tuesday, I rested, but Wednesday I was planning to put my calves to their severest test yet. In the past, the mere sniff of a five mile run and they would give up the ghost, usually with a crippling muscle tear, followed by several trips to the physio. At that time I had frustrating and serious doubts that the age of 43 and with no distance running experience, I was going to be unable to complete Project65 but that was in the past & after months of slow build up I had now got many 10 and 12 milers under my belt with just a few aches and pains. So off I went slow and steady, three laps of my 5 mile circuit, finishing 15 miles in 2 hrs 33 mins. Very happy with that, no injuries, but still too fast for Project 65.

The next three days I rested and did core body work, but due to family commitments I could not get out till Sunday. However I started to prepare for this run the day before, birthday partying till 1 am and eating loads of carbs in the form of a buffet, fresh cream desserts and a couple of pints! (I know, I know, please don’t tell Rory!!) Sunday morning came - up at 9am, stretched, porridge and a Lucozade recovery drink for breakfast, a couple more stashed in my camel pack and off I went in the trainers I had worn on Wednesday.

The first 2.6 miles were slow, I could hardly get started, pains in my lower legs made it look like a no go, so back to the house and a swift change from my Nike Zooms to a new pair of Mizuno Wave Inspire5’s I'm breaking in. When walking in them they feel like you’re in slippers, and the change proved that the Nike’s were the problem. Off I went again this time with little pain and within a couple of miles no pain at all!

I carried on and did 26.4 miles in 4hrs 41 mins feeding carbs and fluids as I went. The wall was minimal, needed to stop to put on a knee strap at 22 miles as I passed the house for the third and last time. As I approached the final straight, the strains of the “Chariots of Fire” theme music rang in my ears as I bounced Tigger-like up the drive!!

I learnt a lot from doing the distance and that to finish 65 miles it’s got to be very slow. I felt the complete drain of energy, and the wear and tear on the feet showed where I have got to tape on high chaffing areas.

Now the Marathon demon is dealt with, its onward and upwards !!

No blog for a week or so, as off to Spain for some warm weather training - although that’s not what the weatherman says I’ll be getting - thunderstorms are forecast - c’est la vie !! (Sorry don’t know the Spanish phrase for that!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment