Monday, June 22, 2009

One final blog...

The Silver Surfer rides for one last time...

For some strange reason Ed wanted a final final blog from the Silver Surfer. For those of you who had the misfortune to meet me in person on the run I probably represent your worse nightmare i.e. the Dr from hell! When I got my current job in Grimsby a certain Dr Harold Shipman had applied for the same post, and according to one of my work colleagues he reckons they would have been better with Harold.

I think I’m over the worst recovery wise now, though oddly I’ve just lost a toe nail at this late stage. I did make my swimming session the Tuesday after the run finished, this despite arriving home at 3am on Monday. I had hoped for a greeting like Pegasus Bridge but they were all asleep and the Labrador barely stirred. Fat lot of good she would be as a guard dog! Still very full of it so did my evening surgery on Monday in the t-shirt. Barely a whimper from the patients, however, a few have started asking after the newspaper articles.

The swimming session was brilliant, the masters group clapped as I walked pool side. That was the high point as I was still in “la-la” land and did massive 0 out of 10 belly flop as my first dive, then functioned as a mobile chicane in my lane for the next hour. I tried to keep with the IM sets but the “butterfly swims” finally screwed me. I hauled myself out and then thought a good rest for a few days was sensible. I did my first duathlon last night and was fairly respectable, I did have a slight help on the tougher second run as I followed Sarah’s buttocks closely for the last 2 miles. From a purely medical point of view they fitted the Lycra in all the right places and wiggled nicely.

Finally I have to thank everyone involved for a fabulous fun time and all the memories, far too many to fill a short article with, and as I wondered in my last blog it does all now fit into place and I understand why 65 miles can be so much fun. I have also moved into the 21st century and added my selected photographs to the Flickr site. I do however have 2 final questions:

1) What exact distance is measured by a Project 65 mile? It obviously isn’t a mile if you get my drift!!!
2) Were the Gendarmes called out on Saturday night especially around 3am when someone tried to get into the tent via a non-existent door?

And if anyone ever ventures to the wilds of Great Grimsby and North East Lincolnshire feel free to look me up.

Best wishes to you all!!

The Silver Surfer - aka Doc Iain Chalmers.

No comments:

Post a Comment