Friday, March 20, 2009

You do have a family, you know?!

Jonathon Ross...

KNACKERED is not a big enough word to describe how I felt after completing 26 miles on Sunday. I planned a great route through Bournemouth, along the seafront through the pleasure gardens, over some quite impressive hills then finishing via a lovely forest. I taped my feet up and set off at around 9am.

All was fine – except for some maniac who nearly ran me over at some traffic lights. I couldn’t get my two fingers up in time to let him know my displeasure before he had disappeared!

It was around the 23 mile point that I got severe stomach cramps and had to walk for a while. I finished the run but was still in some discomfort. After reading our Silver Surfers quality advice on nutrient intake I think I should watch exactly what I am eating and drinking more carefully. The good thing is that this is the reason we train, so we can eliminate all these problems and not suffer them on the actual event.

There are of course physical dangers when running. Just last week I was rounding the last bend to my home. I noticed a car starting to reverse out of a driveway. I slowed slightly, ready to take evasive action but actually thought he would stop. Well, he didn’t stop and I ended up trying to run round the back of his car. The trouble is he then accelerated and I ended up sprawled all over his boot lid. I had to bang on his rear window for him to stop. Needless to say I let him know where, in my opinion, he had gone wrong!

On a more domestic front, my wife Sarah has been fantastic in her support for the cause. She even let me purchase some very exotic looking trainers which almost required a second mortgage. She also let me buy a set of ‘Skins’. I have no idea if they do what they are supposed to but I find them great to run in. There is, however, a slightly strange feeling you get from wearing them, which is probably best not discussed.

Sarah did mention that. 'This 65 mile run thing you are doing is taking over your life, you do have a family, you know?!' So, I now have to pretend it hasn’t taken over my life and think more of my 18 and 20 year old sons, who quite frankly wouldn’t notice if I was thinking about them more or not. Unless of course they want more money or a lift to the pub. (Cynic! Of course they would! - Ed)

It is very difficult not to let this event take over your life especially as I can actually see Tarrant Rushton airfield from my office window!

Best regards to you all – stay fit.

1 comment:

  1. Jonathan,
    Instead of skins perhaps a suit of armour would be better!!!
    Why not ask Sarah to volunteer as a route marshal and then she can see what you are going through and may leave you alone a bit....
    Then again, if she is like any other wife, she won't!
    Well done on completing 26!

    Danny

    ReplyDelete