Monday, March 2, 2009

Training? What training?!

Captain Wonder Pants enlightens us to his really tough programme - one run a week?! Although it is quite a long one!

Well this week has been interesting... ...

Firstly training was right out of the window, down the path and then off to the shops.... ie. NOT there. It’s an amazing thing that work just gets in the way of my social life. I got six numbers on the lottery, but it was spread over 2 weeks... so TWENTY quid.

Anyway, none of my training happened due to work commitments. That I can handle, but I also got a bit of a cold and a dodgy stomach that helped me get though half a Terry Pratchet book! Nice.

So my run.... The Stinger..... No training this week and a rather sensitive tummy that “could go at any time”. I managed to arrive at the even at around 7:30. The normal bubble of lyra clad people and the “oh this is a hard one.. have you done it before..” type of chats. Well after shovelling down the old Imodium tablets and a final “Read” I’m ready to go. There is a staggered start and a main start.

The difference is that you can go off when you want or as the group. I chose off on my own. It’s easier that way, sometimes when you get to style or something like that you just don’t have to queue.

Weather is great! Nice and cold, but it’s dry. All over the South Downs is Chalk and clay which makes it difficult to travel safely at any speed when it’s wet and sodden. The first 2-3 miles are great. I don’t find my rhythm usually till about the the 6th or seventh mile, but it’s still ok. Seem to run up some hills I would normally walk (It’s ok to walk) and then to the 1st of, I believe, 8 checkpoints! Then after this, have a gel, down some water and then get stuck into the Choocie Digestives (I’m a sucker for them) then on my way.

Then I get into my rhythm. Oh I like it when that happens. I always seem to do these events on my own. I use them as a way of getting time to myself. So headphones are on and I just get lost in my thoughts. I have been known to run with a partner on longer races (50 miles) but not this time.

Then the wall!! No idea why this came up. It just did (Probably got bored with myself), so tried to get though it. Managed to after a mile or 2. Then it hit again.. I must of hit it about 4 times. I can only think that I shouldn’t of run the race, but do dislike being told what to do by the wife! Well the good thing is the last 3 miles is all downhill. So at least gravity can help!

Cross the line in 4:59 (target was under 5 hours) so happy with that time but not my performance.

Good thing was I finished and I checked last year’s results and an improvement of 31 minutes!
The course is 26.2 miles long with an ascent of 4400 ft (someone had a Garmon on) so it’s quite a hilly course.

This week is resting so no real running this week. Just gym work and a cheeky 20 miler along the Thames this weekend.

So safe running!

CWP

No comments:

Post a Comment