Monday, March 9, 2009

Steppin' it Up..!

Matt Barker from Hants keeps update on his progress...

Hi, it's the firefighter runner with the hectic family life back for my second blog.

This week has been quieter than usual on the rural Hampshire firefighting front so I have to talk about running which I prefer to do anyway. I am quite chuffed with my training efforts this week. I planned a long run this last Sunday to be the longest yet involving a lunch break to mimic the actual Project65 plan to stop at 30 miles. I wanted to see if I could eat my carbs for half an hour and then start again. Would I cramp up, throw up, seize up or be ok? So I set off towards my local sports centre which is 12.75 miles away making the total run just under that of an ordinary marathon.

Most of the route through the pleasant Hampshire countryside was known by me from previous runs, bar the the final 4 miles to the centre and was made even more beautiful by the amazing sun and blue sky that day. I always find running in new areas easier as I am distracted - mainly by trying not to get lost!

I reached the centre in 2hrs19 which is roughly the pace I wanted. I wolfed down a baked potato and beans, put some sponsorship posters up and then set off again on a slightly different wooded route. I felt awful for about a mile but then got back into the swing of it until a lady with a dog said, "Good luck up the hill!" Not what I wanted next but its all good for training. It wasn't to0 bad though, only half a mile of slogging and tripping on roots but through a picturesque hazel and oak woodland.

I continued on, sipping from my backpacks of sun warmed water and isotonic drink until I hit the wall at 20 miles where I became very negative (and nearly threw myself under a truck) for all of about 2 minutes then I cheered up again and reached home in a total of 4hrs29....for 24.6 miles. I'm pretty happy with that for this stage in the training.

So far, this is my most successful training week. I had two days rest and ran again Wednesday and Friday. I do have some considerations for everyone though. I have a habit of saying 'Hi!' or 'Good afternoon!' to people when I pass them. Other runners always respond happily, most dog walkers do but certain other road users tend not to!!! You may know who I mean! Is there a reason for this? I am relatively new to running so may have missed some rule or something but manners cost nothing...and I am more than happy for a head nod or raised finger. Anyone else get this trouble?

I have also sadly had to stop taking one of my dogs on these runs as they get longer and hotter. I usually take my two Spinones (big shaggy dogs) on a home made 2 way lead but alas, it is getting too much for the oldest one. He's not fussed though, he prefers to eat and get fat!

So the effort continues. Let me know your thoughts on other road-users...! See y'all next week, hopefully!

1 comment:

  1. 'Other road users'? Perhaps we should do some team building with our cyclist outriders and runners - Ha Ha!
    I loved your article in the local rag Matt - well done!
    Perhaps some of our friends from THE RIFLES Regt or 3 AAC may know how to deal with a 'raised finger'?.....

    ReplyDelete