Monday, March 23, 2009

Rice Pudding?

Matt Barker enlightens us on a little known secret weapon in the battle of ultra-marathon running...

Ok. Hi to everyone who is patient and interested enough to read all these blogs - cheers for your support! Matt from Hampshire here again, aiming to bore you to death with my training progress this week.

I spoke to Rory Coleman the other day on Danny Greeno's recommendations. He gave me some good nutritional advice as I am now running further than ever before and don't really know how to eat for it. I have therefore started taking food with me on runs and was pleased to hear from Rory that one of my favourite puddings constitutes an excellent long distance fuel - RICE PUDDING! Yep, good carbs and sugar all in one! Don't know why I never thought of it before!

Anyway, I have decided to go and see Rory in April to take on more nutritional knowledge and learn as much as I can about ultra-running as possible. So I'm feeling inspired and enlightened at the moment, enough to do a 32 miler on Saturday with a planned family lunch break at the half way point. Lovely!

On top of that I apparently now have a date with BBC South Today to talk about the run, which is exciting!m More to follow about that...

Plus, I have also got to give the Royal British Legion a talk at the end of March which will boost awareness and hopefully help with my sponsorship. I think it is great that we are getting "out there" with the media and I am only to pleased to do my bit but I will have to dig deep as I am far happier running in my own little world than giving talks and interviews. These are all new things I am learning which I never thought would be part of Project 65.

I've also been asked to encourage all runners to get in touch with Ed Lloyd Owen at ONE to talk about the publicity for you all as well... please consider yourselves encouraged!!

I have also started on the carb loading sports drinks and protein recovery beverages. Will let you know if these help. So far they have only given me explosive, uncontrollable wind!!! And on that bombshell...

See you all next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment