Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Croxby Crawl and torn muscles...!

The Silver Surfer is back in town...

Generally a better week especially as work has improved a bit and I managed to rake one of my fellow triathletes into doing the run this week. The only thing is Dan is a true legend in the club - but not for his prowess. He came to our training duathlon once (a run, bike, run session) with his bike but omitted the wheels and then, having found wheels, he did a cycle section with his cycle helmet on back to front - try it, it’s quite difficult and restricts forward vision!! And then to top it off he is the only guy who has got lost on our duathlon cycle route but didn’t realise it till he was miles away and had to ring for directions home!

That apart he is a great bloke but he is the sort of guy who if he needed to split his cycle chain could end up with 3 ends! To encourage him we went off on a joint run on a local iconic route, the infamous Croxby Crawl. Dan and I did a nice two laps and were discussing racing and fundraising etc. It was a nice easy jog but being an 'arse' I decided to show off and, on my own, run a 3rd lap with a negative split. This was a big mistake as on the 3rd ascent of Heartbreak Hill I tore the calf muscle in my left leg. I will admit it 'smarted' when I did it and it still 'smarts' a bit now but at least I can walk!

The pleasure of going sub 2 hours for this event was slightly lost. For anyone interested just to see how tough Croxby crawl is just Google and follow the link off the home page: in summary its a 4.4 mile loop with a couple of 1:6 hills and a lot of undulations!

Best wishes to the others and I’ll be improving my swimming this week as a consequence of such stupidity! Ha!

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear! A GP should know better..... Lol
    I hope it heals well and soon.
    Great blog!

    ReplyDelete