Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Silver Surfer rides into week two...

Dr Iain Chalmers:

Charging into the second week of training and I've had my first 'gel' fix of the season while running. God it brings back memories - all this hypertonic/isotonic strength, variety flavours, with or without caffeine etc! Bring back the good old simple days of “flat coke,” plimsolls and moustaches like the 118 chaps! Better still do like they did in the marathon at the first modern Olympics in Greece; the winner used a glass of red wine every mile as nutrition/hydration!!

I would not recommend this behaviour however as the winning time then (in the 1890’s) isn’t even good enough for an “elite” slot in today’s marathon. If it does appeal to you, I seem to remember that a similar event occurs in France: drinking every mile and trotting between vineyards, what more could one want! I think we'd better forget discussing the first marathon as the poor chap died after blurting out his message!

For those real anoraks amongst us who like trivial snippets, the accepted length of a modern marathon was decided at the London Olympics in 1908, the distance from Windsor castle to the finish line opposite the royal box at White City stadium!

That aside I got a new toy - a running headlamp! I’m afraid the local villager walking his dog who spotted me hasn’t been the same psychologically! Technically, they are really good but must remember to avoid the 'Radcliffe' method of head bobbing while running as I may make myself sick. Short and sweet this time as off to the pool followed by a nice quick 10k with my local club...

My continued best wishes!

No comments:

Post a Comment